The Regional Workshop for validating the draft report on the study on Annex N¬į3 to the Water Charter relating to the notification of Planned Measures and relating notification examination files in the Niger Basin was held at the Cotonou Institute of Social, Economic and Civic Training (INFOSEC), Republic of Benin, from 21st to 24th August, 2013.
The overall objective of the workshop is to share and review, with all the attention needed, the substance of the draft report on the study of Annex N¬į3 to the Water Charter as regards the notification of planned measures in the Niger Basin.
The specific objectives sought are as follows:
- Clarifying the concept¬† of ‚Äúplanned measures‚ÄĚ as regards compliance to the principles of the Paris Declaration (principles n¬į5 and n¬į6).
- Defining, based on each of the articles of Chapter VI of the Water Charter, which aspects of the procedure need to be clarified or defined, and making informed suggestions, in specifying, if possible, and according to the a priori nature / importance of the measures planned.
- Suggesting the adequate legal form for the transcription of the aspects of the proposed rules, ensuring they are followed by countries, as well as compliance with national regulations in the matter of water police and environmental assessment ;
- Performing an inventory of the infrastructures planned in the basin, and which are potentially concerned by the measures planned, in member countries or at the level of the Water Resources Coordinating Centre.
- Proposing and developing a methodological approach, with technical tools which could help the NBA to efficiently process planned measure notifications, in the matter of both technical processing of a file and administrative management.
The main results expected from the workshop are :
- notification thresholds and criteria of planned measures which help to give one‚Äôs opinion, on a case to case basis, on the obligation for notification is validated ;
- the a priori nature and / or importance of planned measures is defined and the aspects of the notification procedure are clarified and defined;
- he adequate legal form of the notification of planned measures is proposed;
- An inventory of planned infrastructures potentially concerned by planned measures in member countries is performed;
- A technical tool which can help the NBA to efficiently instruct notifications of planned measures is proposed and developed.